CIMA´s fisheries department evaluates fisheries resources, performance of different artisanal fishing techniques, environmental impact, etc.
The following projects were carried out in these last years:
– Preliminary assessment of the environmental impact of fishing for Bluefin tuna (Thunnus thynnus) by fishing fleet of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands in comparison with other national fleets.
– Experimental fishing campaign for deep-sea crabs along the southern coast of Gran Canaria and biological sampling for further catch management.
– Experimental design and construction of “cazonal” nets.
– Revision of normative aspects regulating the use of “cazonal” nets in Gran Canaria.
– Preliminary investigation of “cazonal” fishing in the north of Lanzarote.
– Impact study of fish traps and corrective technological improvements: “Proyecto Nasa Sostenible”
– European Project ORFISH “Development of innovative, low-impact offshore fishing practices for small-scalevessels in outermost regions”.